It’s been over a month since I posted here. And not for lack of trying! Everything from technical difficulties to stomach bugs and a self-care breakdown took precedence over the blog this month. Sometimes life demands that we take a step back and take care of ourselves, and this month was one of those months.
So instead of posting some of the things I’ve been thinking about posting (I’ve got some ideas for some posts for this next month, so maybe we’ll finally get back to some kind of schedule soon!), I thought I’d do a best of March post. Share some of the best things I’ve found, some of the lovely things that have happened, and other non-stomach bug related topics. So pass the Pedialyte, and let’s get started!
1) Contigo straw cups for kids. We’ve been searching for the best cup to take in the car since Holly learned to drink out of a cup, and y’all. I think we’ve found it. They’re big enough for me to not need to refill them every five minutes, and they DON’T LEAK. I mean, whether the straw is closed or open, no amount of vigorous shaking from me has gotten anything out of these cups. Yet, both girls can drink out of them. I’ve been singing their praises for weeks now to anyone who will listen. Any cup that allows me to give my one year old milk in my backseat without sacrificing my car to the gross car smells that come with “car milk cups” are winners. And this cup has been my favorite by far. Plus, they’re really easy to clean, which means I’m much more likely to put milk in them. No one wants to fuss with a toddler cup for half an hour just to get it taken apart to clean it. This cup is my best friend in the car.
2) Baby sunglasses. Holly wasn’t into sunglasses until recently, so I didn’t have a lot of experience with the cuteness that is baby sunglasses, but now I’ve seen them and GOODNESS. Melody loves them, and so now we all wear our specs in the car and feel very cool indeed.
3)The Chronicles of Narnia . Don’t judge me, but I finally sat down and read ALL of CoN this year. It was an easy, thoughtful read, and I know I’ll go back to those images again and again. It was the kind of story that you never want to end. But this month I said a temporary goodbye to Narnia, though the images will stay with me for a long time, and I will be counting down the days to read this with my girls.
4) Tank and the Bangas- (some of this album is not suitable for little ears) NPR’s Tiny Desk Contest picked the world’s coolest band this year, and I have been dancing to their music during nap time. They put on a fabulous show, and their first album makes me just as happy as watching their videos on YouTube. Which you should definitely do, because so good. So very good.
5) Instagram Stories. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed that I’ve been sharing the food we’ve been making for dinner. We’re trying to cook healthier, which has forced me out of my food comfort zone. The result? Food I can’t help but share! I will eventually branch off into other stories, especially as I begin reading again (part of my self care that I skipped and missed desperately was reading, so I’ve definitely been working to get that back into my day). If you don’t follow me on Instagram, why not? I post fun kid pictures and food pictures and occasionally other things!
6) The Artist’s Way. We’re on Week 8 (we’ve stretched some of the weeks to be two weeks long to make sure we did the exercises), and so many things are happening because of it. I’ve left the house without the kids more this year than I have in the past three years combined. I’m writing and performing original music again. Dustin and I talk more about what our realized dreams would look like, and what small steps we can take every day to make them happen. I’ve been better about hearing my own ideas and not immediately dismissing them. Even with some of the loops this past month tried to throw at us, doing this journey with my friend Sadie has been a positive change in our home, and I am so grateful for it.
What about you? What have you been up to this month? I missed sharing things with you. Let’s hang out again soon.
***There are a few affiliate links up there. Clicking on one of these items and purchasing something doesn’t raise the price for you, but it does help keep this blog up and running. You know, so when I actually write a post it has somewhere to go. Please know I only recommend products that I would gladly gush about in person. Thanks for supporting Morning Goodies!***